Sunday, February 15, 2009

Valentine's Day...

Yea so yesterday was Valentines Day and I spent it watching the NBA all star festivities (I know kinda sad...) Not to sound cynical but what is Valentine's Day??? Is it really a holiday to celebrate love or was it created as a cash cow? Think about it, greeting card companies, jewelry stores, restaurants etc. all pump Valentines Day into every ones mind not to celebrate love but to make serious cash. So we as consumers go out and spend obscene amounts of money to celebrate this holiday. It also becomes drilled into our brains that you HAVE to have someone on this day so people go around scrambling for dates so they won't feel depressed and alone. I find it outrageous and sad and although I wasn't thrilled about spending vday alone I turned down many dates cuz what's the point on going out with any ol body just to have a date on vday. You have to wonder to yourself who am I trying to please???

2 comments:

  1. Then we have valentine's day T-shirts, Nike comes out with a pair of heart sneakers, Valentine's Day sales .. V-Day specials at restaurants .. All types of other shit .. I wrote I a similar blog and I agree with you 100%

    ReplyDelete
  2. Vday doesnt mean a thing to me, i didnt even remember it was vday yesterday..until I kept wondering why people was in red. I do not think we need all these holidays to celebrate these things. Just like thanksgiving I do not need a day to tell me to be thankful..but I do love the food :)

    ReplyDelete